Monday, August 1, 2011

Book Review: Returning to Silence



Returning To Silence by Dainin Katagiri is a wonderful work for the beginner of Zen and the experienced alike.  It is somewhat of a guide book, one that can be referenced back to time and time again.

In this book, Katagiri Roshi gives many practical examples of applying Zen not only in sitting/Zazen/meditation, but also in our daily life.  Katagiri is of the Soto Zen tradition, so many of the practices lie around this.  But it is in no way any less beneficial to any Buddhist.  Consider it a handbook to the Buddhist mind if you will.

It covers everything from dualism, Zazen, poetry, art, life, and more.  I consider it invaluable addition to my library.  I highly recommend this book to beginners, those interested in what Zen is really about, and to the experienced Zen Buddhist.

I hope you give this book a chance.  It is jam-packed with wisdom and knowledge from an experienced Soto Zen priest.  Read a bio of Dainin Katagiri here.  My own teacher is in the lineage of his Dharma Transmission and is the honorary founder of Ryumonji Zen Monastery where I spend a lot of my learning time.

2 comments:

d'Artagnan said...

sounds interesting.

David Ashton said...

I liked it. Glad you're giving it some air time.

Post a Comment