Thursday, July 21, 2011

Was Yoda a Zen Master?


I'm sure that I may not be the first to make this connection. Every time I hear the words of Yoda in a Star Wars film, I can connect them to some Buddhist or Taoist teaching.  Here are just a few:

“Do or do not... there is no try.”

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Luke: "What's in there?"  Yoda: "Only what you take with you.”

“Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealously. The shadow of greed, that is.”

“Only the Dark Lord of the Sith knows of our weakness."

“Strong is Vader. Mind what you have learned. Save you it can."

The "Dark Side" and "Sith/Vader" can represent Mara. The "Force" can represent the Tao. When I have these points in mind and read the quotes, I can see the correlation.  Just thought I'd share this little tid bit.  Enjoy the many lessons of Master Yoda. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment