Monday, April 18, 2011

Martial Motivation

One of the best benefits I have gained from practicing martial arts is self motivation.  I'll be honest, in my early 20s, I hated working.  I called in all the time, didn't show up at all...you get the idea.

But since my martial training has become more serious in the last few years, I always find myself "testing myself, " to push through that laziness or lack of motivation.   And it really has paid off.  My current job is physically demanding.  Plus it's helping me with strength training, building muscle, and I'm secluded, so techniques can be practiced on my downtime. ;)

But why would practicing martial arts make you more self motivated?  Self Discipline. A true martial artist doesn't just practice when he's at the "dojo."  He tempers his mind and body daily, at every chance possible.  Whether it's against the rigors of daily life, the heavy bag, shadow boxing, or real confrontations (mental and physical).

The discipline of motivation doesn't only apply to work either.  It applies to the training itself, to the home, the family, anything really.  If one looks deep enough, virtually any activity can be used to train oneself, be it physically or mentally.  There are no waves without a wind.


The following video is of Shaolin monks training in a variety of techniques.  Enjoy.  Amituofo.

No comments:

Post a Comment